Jeremy is a transaction, regulatory, and trial attorney and focuses his practice on complex issues related to financial institutions and other creditors–including acting as a neutral mediator and arbitrator of complex disputes.
Jeremy has significant mediation, arbitration, and litigation experience representing clients in complex bankruptcy, restructuring, and creditors’ rights issues, including receivership, foreclosure, and pre-litigation workout of defaulted credits. A significant focus of his practice is advising financial institutions regarding liquidation and servicing of SBA and other government guaranteed loans. He advises financial institutions on various regulatory matters including regulatory applications and examinations, negotiation of regulatory agreements, and litigation of disputes involving financial institution regulations. His varied transaction experience includes loan origination and workout involving complex lending relationships, and he has regularly counseled servicers of securitized commercial loan portfolios in connection with commercial loan origination, assumptions, and defeasances, among others.
Jeremy’s legal advice is informed by his practical banking experience, having worked in the Consumer and Small Business Divisions of Bank of America and the Corporate Trust Division of Wells Fargo. Additionally, he is a graduate and former executive student advisor of the Pacific Coast Banking School at the University of Washington—the Nation’s premier national graduate school of banking. This practical perspective is key to Jeremy’s ability to counsel and interact credibly with institutional clients on sophisticated matters.
Jeremy was recently selected as a Rising Star on the 2015, 2016, and 2017 Southwest Super Lawyers List in the category of Banking Law. Super Lawyers, part of Thomson Reuters, is a national rating service that recognizes outstanding attorneys who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The rigorous selection process is multi-phased and includes independent research, peer nominations, and peer evaluations. No more than 2.5% of attorneys are honored by inclusion on this list.
Dispute Resolution Panel Rosters
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)(Arbitrator)
- National Futures Association (NFA)(Arbitrator)
- United States Bankruptcy Court District of Arizona (Mediator)
- United States Bankruptcy Court District of Arizona Mortgage Modification (Mediator)
- Represented financial institutions regarding proper servicing of loans guaranteed by the U.S. Small Business Administration (“SBA”) and governed by SBA SOP 50 57 2 and other rules and regulations.
- Represented financial institutions regarding the unique issues related to foreclosure of security interests in liquor licenses and disposal of liquor collateral.
- Represented financial institutions and other creditors in numerous complex Chapter 11 proceedings, including Dewey Ranch Hockey (NHL Phoenix Coyotes), Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, Capmark, LandAmerica, First Magnus Financial Corporation, Mortgages Ltd., American Airlines, Landsource Communities, and Bashas’.
- Represented numerous creditors in various complex and contested bankruptcy adversary litigation.
- Represented and advised bank holding company regarding establishment of procedures for electronic access to safe-deposit boxes at its nationwide subsidiaries.
- Represented and advised master and special servicers of securitized commercial mortgage loans in connection with the defeasance of such loans.
- Represented and advised Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation in various litigation matters in the Corporation’s capacity as receiver of insolvent financial institutions.
- Represented various franchisors in matters relating to the bankruptcy of franchisees.
- Represented various financial institutions in litigation and appeal related to acceptance of fraudulent and mistaken payment orders under Article 4A of the Uniform Commercial Code.
- Represented various financial institutions in various corporate and regulatory compliance matters arising in examination by regulators.
- Represented financial institution to deliver legal opinions necessary to obtain .bank domain registration.
- Represented financial institution to deliver legal opinions regarding applicability of and compliance with Regulation O.
- Represented prominent national grocer in real estate matters related to bankruptcy of its various tenants.
- Represent homeowner association management company in high-volume collection litigation.
- Advised financial institution on compliance with disclosure requirements of the Electronic Funds Transfer Act and related Regulation E.
- Represented financial institution in litigation related to trust department’s alleged state securities law violations.
- Represented financial institution in litigation with another financial institution related to loan participation agreement and defaulted loan.
- Advised financial institution on compliance with requirements of National Credit Union Association (NCUA) related to relationships with credit union service organizations.
- Advised financial institutions regarding significant employee theft, embezzlement, and fraudulent loan origination issues and related employment law and regulatory issues–including investigation by United States Small Business Administration Office of Inspector General.
- Advised financial institutions regarding issues involving declarant’s rights and other homeowner, condominium, and related association matters in OREO portfolios.
- Advised financial institution regarding application for membership in Federal Home Loan Bank.
- Advised financial institution regarding procedures for banking political action committees.
Certificate, Pacific Coast Banking School at the University of Washington, Bellevue, Washington (a three year master’s level curriculum for senior officers in the banking industry).
J.D., Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Lansing, Michigan; Dean’s list, Honor Roll, Associate Editor of Law Journal, and Member of National Appellate Advocacy Team.
B.A., Free Enterprise, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Arizona
- All Arizona State and Federal Courts
- United States District Court, District of Colorado (Past)
- United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Colorado (Past)
- United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Nevada (Limited Admission)
Publications and Presentations
- Keynote Presentation to the Arizona School Boards Association Summer Leadership Institute: Mini-Town Hall–Early Education in Arizona (July 26, 2014).
- Presentation to the Arizona Credit Union League Officer Compliance Network Meeting: Credit Union Compliance Issues–Garnishments, Levies, and Common Issues with Form 1099 and Discharge of Indebtedness Income Recognition (May 26, 2011).
- D.C. District Slams Federal Reserve and Regulation II, ARIZONA BANKER, at 10-11 (Fall 2013). CLICK TO VIEW ARTICLE
- SBA Lending Is Great . . . Until It Isn’t, ARIZONA BANKER, at 19 (Spring 2017). CLICK TO VIEW ARTICLE
- Presentation to the Maricopa County Association of Paralegals, an affiliate of the National Association of Legal Assistants: Common Issues in Banking Litigation With a Focus on Garnishments, Levies, and Subpoenas under the Graham-Leach-Bliley Act (May 14, 2014).
- Presentation to the Maricopa County Bar Association and Scottsdale Bar Association: Executory Contracts in Bankruptcy (May 16, 2014).
Honors and Awards
- 2014 Top 50 Pro Bono Attorneys in Arizona Award from Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education and The Arizona Bar Foundation
- 2015 Rising Star on the 2015 Southwest Super Lawyers List in the category of Banking Law.
- 2016 Rising Star on the 2016 Southwest Super Lawyers List in the category of Banking Law.
- 2017 Rising Star on the 2017 Southwest Super Lawyers List in the category of Banking Law.
Professional and Community Affiliations
- State Bar of Arizona (member, alternative dispute resolution section)
- State Bar of Arizona (member, bankruptcy law section)
- Arizona Bankruptcy American Inn of Court (member)
- Arizona Bankers’ Association (associate member)
- National Association of Government Guaranteed Lenders–NAGGL (member)
- Arizona Commercial Mortgage Lenders Association (past associate member)
- Arizona Private Lenders Association (past associate member)
- Maricopa County Bar Association (member, bankruptcy section; former director, bankruptcy section)
- Maricopa County Bar Foundation (former trustee)
- Hispanic National Bar Association (past member)
- Los Abogados Hispanic Bar Association (past member)
- Junior Achievement (past instructor; past participant in annual Golf Marathon)
- Turnaround Management Association (past member; former director, Arizona Chapter)
- American Bar Association (past member)
- Rogers Ranch Unit II Homeowners Association (past vice president, past director)
- Arizona Town Hall (member; past recorder, past report chair)
- Silent Witness (past director; past secretary, board of directors; past fundraising committee chairman)
- Carolina Voices (past director)
- Pacific Coast Banking School at the University of Washington (past executive student advisor)