Jeremy is a transaction, regulatory, and trial attorney and focuses his practice on the representation of financial institutions and other creditors. He has significant litigation experience representing clients in complex bankruptcy, restructuring, and creditors’ rights issues, as well as pre-litigation workout of defaulted credits. His varied transaction experience includes loan origination and workout involving complex lending relationships, and he has regularly counseled servicers of securitized commercial loan portfolios in connection with commercial loan origination, assumptions, and defeasances, among others.
Jeremy’s legal advice is informed by his practical banking experience, having worked in the Consumer and Small Business Divisions of Bank of America and the Corporate Trust Division of Wells Fargo. Additionally, he is a graduate of the Pacific Coast Banking School at the University of Washington—the Nation’s premier national graduate school of banking. This practical perspective is key to Jeremy’s ability to counsel and interact credibly with institutional clients on sophisticated banking matters.
Jeremy was recently selected as a Rising Star on the 2015 Southwest Super Lawyers List in the category of Banking Law. Super Lawyers, part of Thomson Reuters, is a national rating service that recognizes outstanding attorneys who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The rigorous selection process is multi-phased and includes independent research, peer nominations, and peer evaluations. No more than 2.5% of attorneys are honored by inclusion on this list.
- Represented financial institutions and other creditors in numerous complex Chapter 11 proceedings, including Dewey Ranch Hockey (NHL Phoenix Coyotes), Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, Capmark, LandAmerica, First Magnus Financial Corporation, Mortgages Ltd., American Airlines, Landsource Communities, and Bashas’.
- Represented numerous creditors in various complex and contested bankruptcy adversary litigation.
- Represented clients in significant and lengthy AAA arbitration.
- Represented and advised bank holding company regarding establishment of procedures for electronic access to safe-deposit boxes at its nationwide subsidiaries.
- Represented and advised master and special servicers of securitized commercial mortgage loans in connection with the defeasance of such loans.
- Represented and advised Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation in various litigation matters in the Corporation’s capacity as receiver of insolvent financial institutions.
- Represented various franchisors in matters relating to the bankruptcy of franchisees.
- Represented financial institution in litigation and appeal related to acceptance of payment orders under Article 4A of the Uniform Commercial Code.
- Represented financial institution in various corporate and regulatory compliance matters arising in examination by primary regulator.
- Represented prominent national grocer in real estate matters related to bankruptcy of its various tenants.
- Represent homeowner association management company in high-volume collection litigation.
- Advised financial institution on compliance with disclosure requirements of the Electronic Funds Transfer Act and related Regulation E.
- Represented financial institution in litigation related to trust department’s alleged state securities law violations.
- Represented financial institution in litigation with another financial institution related to loan participation agreement and defaulted loan.
- Advised financial institution on compliance with requirements of National Credit Union Association (NCUA) related to relationships with credit union service organizations.
- Advised financial institution regarding significant employee theft and embezzlement issue and related employment law and regulatory issues.
- Advised credit union regarding management and merger agreements with to-be-acquired credit union.
- Advised financial institution regarding conversion of national bank charter to Arizona state bank charter.
- Advised out-of-state financial institution regarding establishment of Arizona trust department.
Certificate, Pacific Coast Banking School at the University of Washington, Bellevue, Washington (a three year master’s level curriculum for senior officers in the banking industry).
J.D., Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, Lansing, Michigan; Dean’s list, Honor Roll, Associate Editor of Law Journal, and Member of National Appellate Advocacy Team.
B.A., Free Enterprise, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Arizona
- All Arizona State and Federal Courts
- United States District Court, District of Colorado
- United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Colorado
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Pacific Coast Banking School at the University of Washington (Executive Advisor)
- Arizona Bankers’ Association (associate member)
- Arizona Commercial Mortgage Lenders Association (past associate member)
- Arizona Private Lenders Association (past associate member)
- State Bar of Arizona (member, bankruptcy law section)
- Maricopa County Bar Association (member; director, bankruptcy section)
- Maricopa County Bar Foundation (trustee, board of trustees)
- Hispanic National Bar Association (past member)
- Los Abogados Hispanic Bar Association (past member)
- Junior Achievement (past instructor; past participant in annual Golf Marathon)
- Turnaround Management Association (member)
- American Bar Association (past member)
- Rogers Ranch Unit II Homeowners Association (past vice president, past director)
- Arizona Town Hall (member; past recorder, past report chair)
- Silent Witness (past director; past secretary, board of directors; past fundraising committee chairman)
- Carolina Voices (past director)